Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Wyoming School Foundation?
- A nonprofit organization that exists solely to benefit the Wyoming City School District
- Established in 1965 by a group of Wyoming citizens who recognized the need for private funding in the public sector
- Led by a volunteer Board of Trustees representing a cross section of our community
- Benefits students by providing access to programs, technology and educational experiences not funded by tax dollars.
What is the mission of the Wyoming School Foundation?
- The Wyoming School Foundation supports the tradition of excellence in education for every Wyoming student, beyond the District's existing funding. Through endowed and immediate donations from the community, alumni and friends, we support:
- Academic and global education
- Student life and enrichment
- Scholarships and financial assistance
- Technology, equipment and facilities
How can you support the Foundation?
- Give a gift to our Annual Campaign
- Contribute to the Endowment
- Make a Planned or deferred gift through your estate planning program; name us in your will, create a trust, name us the beneficiary in a life insurance policy or call us to discuss other options.
- Support our Special Events, i.e. Annual Gala, 5K Fun Run, Foundation Day
- Establish a Legacy or Specific Use Fund
- Volunteer your gifts of time, talent and treasure
How does the Foundation's Endowment benefit the Wyoming Schools?
- The Endowment contributes to our schools long-term financial security and helps guarantee educational opportunities for future generations
- Each year the annual income earned from the endowment goes directly to the schools
- Endowed earnings help provide our schools with the best materials, state-of-the-art facilities and innovative programs needed to continue the tradition of excellence long associated with Wyoming City Schools
How does the Foundation benefit the Wyoming Schools today?.
- The Foundation provides immediate cash gifts to our schools from donors who have established Foundation Legacy or Specific Use Funds to support a specific academic or extracurricular program or who are giving a one time gift to meet a specific need.
What is the difference between the Foundation and the Wyoming PSA?
- The Foundation exists to provide long-term financial security; to ensure resources are available to the School District for educational opportunities, today and for future generations.
- The PSA is dedicated to fostering a relationship between parents and the schools. Their fundraisers provide short-term support for student activities, classroom supplies and enrichment programs.
I pay taxes. Why do you need more money?
- Wyoming is a public school and its teachers, administrators and Board of Education do a great job with the state and federal funding they are provided. However, as public funding decreases, the expectation for Wyoming's educational excellence and our quality product remains.
- The Foundation raises funds to support and enhance the district's academic programs and educational needs and provide enrichment opportunities for students and staff today and in the future, regardless of the level of public funding.
- The Foundation's additional resources help ensure growth and innovative advances in educational opportunites, inspirational fine art experiences, meaningful volunteerism events and competitive athletics.
Who does the work of the Foundation?
- Oversight is provided by a volunteer Board of Trustees and Executive Committee.
- Daily operations are managed by a development director and office administrator
- Many volunteers within the Wyoming community and around the globe ensure the successful fundraising efforts, education and awareness about Wyoming School Foundation efforts and what is happening with the district's schools.